Confession time! I never got myself to love salads, util recently. In fact, I grew up loathing every sight of it on my dining table. The only time I admired them, was when I saw the amazing salad arts at wedding catering. And can’t tell you how blessed I felt to know that I shouldn’t eat those veggies that made the salad art decor!
At home and otherwise, basic garden salad meant the fresh seasonal veggies, often from Ma’s little kitchen garden. Generally it were the crispy carrots, tomato slices, red onion rings, crunchy daikon radish and cucumber with a dash of lime, salt and crushed pepper. I couldn’t get to love the salad then. After all, I wasn’t a big fan of eating what needed to be chewed more!
I then started experimenting with soft salads…ones that had some tender components apart from the crunch. And eventually, I started liking them. One from the bunch that won me over was this simple and delicious Indian style farm veggie salad. It is easy to do and has the taste worth every bit of what it takes! I like the onions in this salad cooked, since I get wary of the bad breath they cause when eaten uncooked. However, since the recipe doesn’t use a lot of onions, they may be left uncooked for additional crunch.
‘Tis one of those yummy, tasty and humble recipes that gives a boost to those otherwise ordinary day meals. Hope you enjoy it too. Snack on it or pair it with soup and a simple meal. This is quite the salad that is capable of transforming salad-haters and the abhorring souls!
- 1 medium potato — peeled, cleaned and cut into thin wedges/pieces
- 2 baby carrots — cleaned and sliced
- 2-3 french beans — washed, trimmed and divided into smaller pieces
- A handful of fresh or frozen green peas
- A handful of fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 small onion — peeled, washed and chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 2 tbsp chopped radish — *Optional
- 0.5 tsp turmeric powder (haldi) — *Optional
- 2 inches cucumber chopped finely — *Optional
- 1 medium tomato — washed, deseeded and chopped (*Optional)
- 1 Indian hot green chilly, finely chopped OR 0.5 tsp red chilly flakes — *Optional
- 1 tbsp of cleaned and shredded Cilantro (coriander leaves) — *Optional
- 1 tsp dried thyme — *Optional
- Juice of 1/3rd lime (or adjust lime juice amount to taste)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp light olive oil
- Heat the oil in a pan and add cumin seeds to splutter.
- Throw in the onions and saute till done.
- Add potatoes, peas, corn, beans and carrots. Sprinkle turmeric powder, thyme, salt and pepper to taste.
- Fry for 1-2 minutes, then cover cook till the veggies are done. Since they are for a salad, I prefer my veggies cooked, yet firm, but not tender or mushy.
- When done, take the veggies off from flame. Let them stand and cool down for 5 minutes. Then, transfer them into a mixing bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the cooked veggies. Adjust salt and pepper. Give them all a nice mix and turn.
- Serve it fresh and eat it clean! Have a happy salad plate 🙂